Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Trip to the Appraiser

Yesterday, I took some rings that we inherited to be appraised. The woman was totally official. She measured every part of each ring, the stones the gold band, she weighted them, she looked at them under fluorescent light. She even looked at them under a high powered microscope. Although each ring turned out to be worth more than I thought they would, on one in particular she made a very definitive statement. While looking at it under the microscope, she said "you have absolutely NO antique value". She even repeated the statement. "You have absolutely NO antique value." I felt a little ashamed and humiliated even though i knew she was just talking about the ring. But something in her statement and tone resonated in my heart. i felt like she was talking to me! Am I like Nebuchadnezzar who was weighted in the balance and was found wanting? It was like God was speaking to me as I sat next to the appraiser hearing words that often echo in my soul, uncovering a struggle I have to bring the reality of God's love for me from an intellectual understanding into all my thinking and being. I think this is learning to drink the cup of salvation that is mentioned in Psalms. I will post post more later as some really great thing s have happened lately but I needed to get this o my chest.

1 comment:

David Osborne said...

That's hilarious Mom! Why were you up at 6:14am?